I was a huge fan of the original show and whenever something is remade into a movie it hardly ever lives up to the original. My thought was proven wrong rather quickly as the movie showed me that it was trying to live up to the original in a beautiful way that only Shyamalan could bring to the screen. But the movie is been cut from one full season to a 90 minute movie. To me it felt like the story was in fast forward. However after talking to friends who saw the movie and didn't see the show they said the movie felt like it was the right pace. The other problem I had was compared to the original show this was a more serious take on the fiction. In the animated show humor is a big component to the series however other than one funny part the jokes and humor is missing from the movie. This doesn't make the movie any less enjoyable it is just a warning for fans of the series. Don't expect to see the trademark humor in the movie.
I just want to point out some flaws and I will make it short.
- Aang shouldn't have been talking to the dragon spirit for guidance, he should have been talking to Avatar Roku. Was he ever mentioned? I don't think so.
- Avatar Roku who is the past Avatar, who will guides Aang but he is not even in the movie
- Aang has no feelings for Katara.. yet. The movie is based on Book 1.
- Commander Zhao is an incompetent dude.. not too much of a bad ass villain.
- Zuko whines too much than he is mad at the world.
- I can barely notice Sokka's sarcasm.
- And was Momo named?
- The scar of Zoku is unnoticeable.
- What's this about Azula being blood thirsty when she's stone cold and deadly?!
- They dint event mention about "The White Lotus"
- Where is The Warriors of Kyoshi who will became Sokka girlfriend??
- They dint even show how Aang learn water bending
- They dint even tell that the Master of Water Bending who teach Aang is actualy Sokka grandfather
- Aang learns about Sozin's comet and some of the Avatar mythology